CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 7, 2010

FAST OR SLOW?



My dad would have one day every month where he would do nothing but drink juice - to clean out his system, he said.

Our church defines fasting as "to go without food and drink voluntarily for a certain period of time. Fasting combined with sincere prayer can strengthen us spiritually, bring us closer to God, and help us prepare ourselves and others to receive His blessings. "

And on the first Sunday of the month, we fast as a church and donate the money we would have spent on the missed meals to help those in need.

The older I get, the looser my definition of a fast has become.  Used to be two meals... then one... then I would give up something specifically (usually chocolate, which to me is a true sacrifice).

I can blame it on getting older - being on more meds - low blood sugar - sheer weakness.... yeah, mainly that last one.

So today I was pretty impressed that I actually kept (most) of a real, honest-to-goodness fast. And this evening I have NOT gone hog-wild making up for the skipped food by goobling down loads of junk.

At least as of 10:27 p.m.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

0 comments: